Fort Orange Records, 1656–1678New Netherland Institute
Translated and edited by Charles T. Gehring.
The records in this volume represent the oldest surviving archival papers of the Dutch community that eventually became Albany, the capital of the state of New York. Although the Dutch first visited this area with Hudson in 1609, records were first maintained in the area by the officials of the patroonship of Rensselaerswijck, which surrounded the West India Company post of Fort Orange. The administration of the Company's interests in the area remained in the hands of the council on Manhattan for almost thirty years. Thus records concerning the Company's administration of affairs in this area are found among the minutes of the council on Manhattan or in the registers of the provincial secretary. Local WIC records first appeared in 1652 after the Company established the jurisdiction of Fort Orange and the village of Beverwijck.